Monday, December 12, 2011

Weddings & Backyard Brawls

A week ago Saturday, December 3rd, Deb and I headed up north so I could perform a wedding for a young couple we met through our seminarian Micah Chisholm. The bride was Stephanie Chisholm's identical twin sister. It was a privilege for Deb and I to counsel with Emily and Tyler Gotowka the last few months. I am confident they desire to live out their vows before each other and the Lord. Their heart felt conviction made for a beautiful Christian wedding.

The Gotowka wedding had been planned for some time. It was a destination wedding in that it took place at Castle Farms, an event center in Charlevoix, Michigan. The facility looked like an old stone castle. The chapel was lovely and the meal and dancing  was great!  (Despite my facial expression in the picture I really did have a good time.)  This was the 41st marriage I had been asked to officiate. Each one reminds me of the vows I made to Deb over 31 years ago as it does for all married persons who attend such services.

Marriage has the potential of being the highest expression of human love. I know I would give my life for Deb and that she would do the same for me. I know she is committed to standing at my side in good and bad times. We are told that marriage is a picture of the way Jesus and the Father are committed to loving each one of us. Jesus is the groom and we are His bride. He is terribly fond of us and is constantly pursuing after us. But just like our experience of marriage on earth, our relationship with Him takes work.

On Sunday mornings in Advent we have been looking at our life as Christians. In a series entitled "Warning: Christian Under Construction" we are considering the fact that we still have room to grow in our relationship with God and with those around us. This past Sunday we considered how in our lives, the world and even in the church we still have conflict. We can do only a little to affect conflict in the world, but most of us can affect the conflicts in our own backyards.

The church is filled will people whom the Lord is still working on. People who do not love as they ought. People who do not serve as they ought and thus sometimes fight even though we ought not. My admonition, like Paul's advice to the church in Philippi, was to forget what lies behind and press towards being more like Christ. (Phil. 3:13) We are called to keep working at our relationships. We are to work at listening to each other, sharing with each other and forgiving each another, just like we must do in marriage. If you were not present you can hear the sermon in full online at:


I am so glad the Lord has not given up on me, His church, even the World. I am glad He is committed to working at our "marriage" and He wants me to keep working on my relationships with those around me. May we be patient with one another and the church as He continues to build us up and work on His church.








1 comment:

  1. Love the photo, really love the sermon series. You do a mean "robot."

    Jim Smith

    ReplyDelete