Friday, March 23, 2012

Airbags & Safety Nets

Last week I had an accident at about 45 miles an hour.  The seat belt and airbags saved me.  Physically, though sore and a little bruised I did alright.  It has been much tougher emotionally and mentally.  I keep reliving the accident in my mind and find myself very jumpy as I now drive.

It happened so quick.  I do not remember hearing much of an impact or the airbag deploying.  I think the air bag muffled the sound.   Without the safety equipment it could have been a very different outcome, which reminds me how fragile life really is.  I have had to spend a significant amount of energy focusing on what I have rather than the losses.  The car was totaled.  I was cited for failing to stop.  Two other cars were involved and a young man broke his leg.  But we are all alive.  Stuff can be replaced.  I have another day to be with my family and more time here to serve the Lord.  A friend has loaned us a car and I had liability insurance for a time such as this.  How I wish the accident had not happened, but it did.  With the support of those around me and leaning into the Lord, I trust I will get through it as hard as it is at this moment.

It seems to me that my walk with the Lord is a lot like the airbag.   I owned the green van for nearly 10 years.  There was a label on the steering wheel that said the van was equipped with an airbag, but I never saw it. It was built into the car.  In my moment of need it deployed.  It softened the blow, and may have even saved my life or prevented permanent injury.  When we accept the Lord and put our trust in Him, there is often no outward manifestation of His presence.  He is unseen, as if built into our hearts.  The Holy Spirit and His gifts are like the label, outward signs, that assures us of His presence.   And though He does not prevent every bad thing from happening to us, His promise is He will be there in our time of need.  It is my experience that He is there to cushion the blow as we are buffeted by the things of this world.  By faith I know that nothing in this world can separate us from the Father.  Nothing, not even death, can ultimately conquer  us.   Even if our enemy does his worst, he will not overcome us, for we are the Lord's.  He is in us  and we are in the palm of His hand.

I cannot imagine trying to travel through this life without our unseen "Airbag".  I am so thankful for my "Airbag" and "Safety Net".   Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment