Monday, November 28, 2011

Under Construction

We are all "Christians Under Construction" or as some prefer to say it: "In Formation". I am so thankful God is not done with me yet. He is still working on me even in areas that I thought were "finished". For example I know the Gospel. The Good News has changed my life. Yet I am still surprised from time to time with new insights around this foundational concept. Praise the Lord that He is new every morning and we can never run out of places to grow.

This Advent at New Wine Mission we are looking at ways the Lord continues to work on us. Yesterday I spoke about the foundation of our faith: The Gospel. We are looking at this topic through Paul's letter to the Philippians. Paul reminded the church of Philippi that he was convinced that God would complete the good work He had begun in them. (vs. 1:6)

I see God working in the people of New Wine. He has given us a hunger for His Word and we are committed to studying the Bible regularly. I also see in us a desire to be used of God to both proclaim and contend for the truth of the Gospel. As we do, our knowledge and insight grows and we become stronger followers of Christ. As pastor, I am so excited to see God at work in the lives of our church. In the midst of trials and celebrations we have been able to see God moving through answered prayer. For example Deb and I recently saw Him provide the finances needed for Katie to complete her mission outreach with YWAM and provide roommates for our daughter in Nashville. In both cases He did this just in the nick-of-time.

Last Friday I was visiting family in Ohio and took time to swing by Trinity School for Ministry and visit our seminarians Micah and Stephanie Chisholm. They are doing well as he finishes up his last year of seminary. Their lives are full. Stephanie is a nanny for a local family in Pittsburgh and Micah works part-time at Starbucks and attends full-time classes at the seminary. They are expecting their first child in March and they will be looking to re-enter full-time ministry this Spring just after the baby is born. We had a brief but good visit as we caught up on what God was doing in all of us. We pray for them regularly and are looking at the possibility of them joining us for a season back in Flint after they complete their studies. It was good to hear how God is working in their lives. Lets pray that the Chisholms and all the people of New Wine grow in their knowledge and love of the Lord in the Advent season.


No comments:

Post a Comment